If you are looking to move light or medium sized loads across flat surfaces, but want to do so in an efficient way that will help protect your back and make the job easier and safer, you will want to consider using a platform truck, cart or dolly. These easy to use and easy to store pieces of equipment are invaluable in a warehouse where you are moving loads from one place to another by hand. The biggest question is which one is right for your unique task?
Douglas Equipment has been in the business of quality casters and material handling equipment since 1955, and we have learned quite a few things about how platform trucks, carts and dollies can be used to enhance your efficiency. Our team of excellent customer service professionals can walk you through your needs and help to point you to the material handling equipment that is right for you.
While we carry much more that platform trucks, carts and dollies we have an extensive knowledge of these specific pieces of equipment. Below is more information about the applications of these types of equipment and some of the models that we have that might align with your needs:
A platform truck is a hand truck that has a large, low deck with four wheels and no sides. A platform truck is not motorized and these trucks normally include a handle at one end for easy steering. Platform trucks also typically have at least one end with swivel casters for easy maneuverability.
- Stainless Steel Folding Handle Truck: This platform truck by Wesco has a 19” by 29” flat platform surface for carrying a load with a folding handle that brings the height to 34.5”. The cart is made of stainless steel and includes 4” thermoplastic rubber casters, two fixed casters at the front and two swivel casters at the back for maneuverability and easy rolling. Cart weight is 26 pounds and can carry a capacity of 440 pounds.
- Steel Bound Wood Platform Truck: Made by Wesco, this platform truck has an all steel frame with a wood platform. Platform sizes include 24” by 48”, 27” by 54”, 30” by 60” and 36” by 72”. A removable handle is also included. The units come with four casters, two fixed at the front and two swivel casters at the rear, but the choice of casters is to be determined by your unique requirements. One choice of casters is Mold-on rubber casters that are 2” wide for easy rolling and turning. The capacity of the truck will vary depending on the type of caster chosen.
Carts, like platform trucks, have a large, low deck with four wheels but include sides (normally framed) that can help to hold objects on the cart, or even upright on the cart. The cart is often moved using the sides rather than an additional handle, and include both fixed and swivel casters for maneuverability.
- Commercial Quality Panel Cart – Platform With Side Rails: This Wesco all steel panel cart has a flat surface area of 30” by 48” with an overall height of 37” with two side rails. The side rails make it easy to stack boxes or equipment on the cart without the worry that it will fall off the side. The unit has 8” thermoplastic rubber casters, two stationary on the back and two swivel casters on the front for easy rolling and good maneuverability. The unit weighs 118 pounds overall and has a capacity of 1100 pounds. The unit includes bumpers on all four corners to avoid damage to walls, doors and other vertical surfaces.
- Heavy Duty Greenline Panel Cart: Also from Wesco this heavy duty cart has an all steel construction with a cart area of 29” by 36” with an overall height of 34” with three rails, two on the side and one down the middle. This is great for items that need to stand on end but require support to hold them upright. The cart has 5” polyurethane casters, two fixed on the back and two swivels with incorporated brakes on the front. With a weight of only 194 pounds the unit can carry 4400 pounds of load.
Dollies are small platforms that fit entirely under heavy objects to hold them and make them easy to move. There are no handles (usually) or side rails. By pushing on the object (or using an optional steering handle), the casters or rollers attached to the dolly will do the work.
- Steel Deck Machine Dolly Model: This basic machine dolly from Wesco has a solid steel construction with 2” steel wheels to provide great strength and durability. The unit is 8.5” by 11.75” with a height of 2.5”, which makes it great for placing under a container that needs to be easily moved. The unit itself weighs 11.84 pounds but holds an enormous capacity of 10,000 pounds. An optional steering handle is available.
- HeviMover Machine Roller Model BC2637: This extremely heavy-duty dolly is made from steel with steel rollers for motion. The unit is 6.5” by 12.75” with a height of 4.875” with 1.1875” steel rollers. The unit weighs 52 pounds but can carry a phenomenal load of 30,000 pounds. Great for extra large loads that need to easily slide in and out of place. An optional steering handle is available if necessary.
Douglas Equipment has been in the material handling equipment business for almost 60 years and we have a dedicated service team to help you with any questions you may have when it comes to how you might be able to use platform trucks, carts and dollies in your daily operations. We are confident that we can help you find the right equipment for your needs. Contact us today with any questions you may have!