Buying your casters wholesale rather than retail is an excellent idea, but it is important to remember that not all wholesale distributors are created equally. While the prices are higher with retail outlets, due to the need to hire salespeople and maintain a sales floor, one of the things that people like about retail is the ability to ask questions about the product so that they can get the advice they need.
At Douglas Equipment we don’t think you should have to pay the higher prices in order to get exceptional advice. We know that you want to find the right caster for your unique task, and our dedicated service team is here to help you do just that. We can help you through the process, even if you may not know all of the right questions to ask. Here are a few questions and answers we’ve come up with that might help your next caster purchase a little easier.
What Dynamic Load Capacity Do You Need?
- Casters come in many different load capacities, ranging from about 30 – 10,000 lbs. or more, so not every caster is appropriate for every job. You will need to know how much your total load will be so that you can get the right casters for your needs. It is important to note that the load capacity of the entire cart, chair or dolly will be split across each caster, so a load of 1000 lbs. would be 250 lbs. on four casters, or only 200 lbs. on each of five casters. By using more casters you can reduce the load on each.
How Will You Mount Your Casters?
- Casters have many different mounting mechanisms, and there can be nothing more annoying than choosing the wrong one. If you have bought a caster with a stem mount and find that you need to attach the caster with a plate and four bolts, you will either be drilling holes or returning your casters. Likewise, if you try to use a plate mount and find there is not enough room, you are in for some frustration. Make sure you know how your casters will be mounted before you buy them.
How Big Can Your Wheels Be?
- In general the bigger the wheels, the better a caster will roll, because bigger wheels move farther with each turn. The down side of this is that a big wheel will raise the center of gravity of a tall object and can lead to tipping. There are safety precautions that can be taken to prevent this, but you need to be able to keep these things in mind when designing your cart or trolley. Knowing how big your wheels can be will be invaluable when choosing the right caster.
Do You Need a Fixed or Swivel Caster?
- Casters can be held in a fixed position so that they only roll forwards and backwards, or they can be made to swivel so that the wheel rotates into many positions. Whether you need fixed or swivel casters will depend on how you will use them, so knowing how you will mount and use your casters will determine if each caster needs to be moveable for the best function.
For instance, sometimes it is best to not have all casters on a cart be able to swivel. By having some casters fixed and some casters swivel you can better manage the maneuverability of the cart overall. Yet, another consideration is how much space you have for the caster to swivel. If your casters will be tightly contained you may be limited in how big your wheels can be or where you can use a swivel caster.
Rollability & Brakes: What Does Your Caster Need to Do?
- Casters can be complicated devices and it is important to know what you need them to do in order to choose the right one. Many different bearings exist, so you need to know how you need your caster to roll so that the right bearing can be chosen. Ball bearings and roller bearing both work well, but some applications perform better using one type of bearing.
Another option on most swivel casters is to incorporate some type of brake. If you need your swivel caster to lock into place, how do you need this to happen? Do you need to lock the swivel, or just lock the wheel from turning? Do you need a wheel lock that presses against the tire itself, or a positive lock that holds the side of the wheel without depending on the condition of the tire?
The Right Advice Without Paying High Retail Prices
At Douglas Equipment we believe that the only way we succeed is if you succeed. Our team is driven to excellent customer satisfaction by helping you find the perfect product. Why would you settle for less than the best wholesale caster experience?
If you are ready to find out more about getting the perfect caster to suit your needs, why not call and talk to one of our knowledgeable service professionals today? If you are local to the Miami area, you can call us at 305-888-3700, and national customers can call us toll-free at 1-800-451-0030. We are also available online where a service professional will reply promptly with all the product knowledge you need. Why pay more for the advice of a retail salesperson when you can get quality advice from the team at Douglas Equipment?