Pallet jacks are versatile pieces of material handling equipment and often the workhorses of warehouses and loading docks because they allow workers to easily handle large pallets of goods in smaller spaces – especially those where forklifts can’t go because of their size.
The relatively small and easy to maneuver pallet truck can be invaluable when moving palleted goods from one area of the floor to another, and some can even lift these loads onto a lower shelf if needed. There are two main types of pallet trucks, those that are manually operated and those that have an electrically powered assist for the manual operation.
Douglas Equipment carries several styles of both the manual and powered pallet trucks. Douglas equipment has been in the business of supplying material handling equipment since 1955, so our experts have the knowledge and experience to help you decide whether a manual or electric jack is the better choice for you and which model best meets your needs.
Manual Pallet Jacks
In its most basic form, a pallet truck has two long wheeled forks that fit under the pallet in order to lift it and a central wheel (or pair of wheels) at the back with a pump handle that operates a hydraulic cylinder that raises and lowers the forks. With this three-point arrangement of wheels, the truck can be easily turned to fit into very tight spaces. Some examples of these easy to use pieces of equipment are:
- Standard Deluxe Pallet Truck: This basic model 20-1/2 X 42 steel pallet mover can easily move a standard pallet. Dimensions are Width 21”, Height 48”, Depth 57” with a capacity of 5,500 pounds. The unit weights 152 pounds with 8” mold-on polyurethane steering wheels and polyurethane load wheels. 20-1/2 x 36 and 20-1/2 x 48 sizes are also available.
- CP3 Pallet Truck: This simple 27 X 48 pallet truck makes moving a 40 x 40 or 40 x 48 pallet extremely easy. Dimensions are Width 27”, Height 48”, Depth 63” and a capacity of 550 pounds. The unit weighs 172 pounds with 7” mold-on polyurethane steering wheels and 3” polyurethane load wheels. 20-1/2 x 36 and 20-1/2 x 48 sizes are also available.
- CP1 Pallet Truck with Cargo Backrest: This 27 X 48 steel construction pallet truck incorporates a tall and sturdy frame at the back to prevent a taller load from sliding back off of the pallet. Dimensions are Width 27”, Height 55”, Depth 63 and a weight of 213 pounds.
- Long Fork Pallet Truck: This model has a steel construction with an extended fork for longer pallets. Dimensions are Width 27”, Height 49”, Depth 86” and a capacity of 4460 pounds. The unit weighs 308 pounds and has 7” mold-on polyurethane steering wheels.
- Manual High Lift Pallet Truck: This standard 27 X 44.5 pallet truck incorporates a scissor lift mechanism that allows the unit to lift a pallet onto a low shelf, or into working position. Dimensions are Width 27”, Height 48.5”, Depth 63” and a capacity of 2,200 pounds. The unit has a steel construction that weighs 228 pounds with 6” steering wheels made of mold-on polyurethane.
Electrically Powered Pallet Jacks
While the electric powered pallet trucks functions essentially the same as the manual pallet truck, they include an electric motor that helps propel the unit forward when the operator is maneuvering the unit. The electric motor also powers the raising and lowering of the forks of the pallet truck, which can allow for loads to be raised much higher than a hydraulic powered hand pump unit. Below are a few of the powered pallet jack models offered by Douglas Equipment:
- Semi-Electric Pallet Truck: This steel frame pallet truck incorporates an electric motor that aids in propelling the pallet truck when moving, but still relies on a manual hydraulic pump to raise the forks. Dimensions are Width 27”, Height 48.5”, Depth 65.75” and a capacity of 2,200 pounds. The unit itself weighs 397 pounds with 10” polyurethane steering wheels.
- Light Duty Powered Walkie Pallet Truck: This 27 X 48 electric pallet truck has a steel construction and includes a large rechargeable electric unit that moves the unit while the operator steers from behind Dimensions are Width 26.5”, Height 57.5”, Depth 65.5” and a capacity if 3,300 pounds. The unit weighs 672 pounds with 10” polyurethane steering wheels. There is also a heavy-duty version available with a capacity of 4,400 pounds. Both light and heavy-duty options are available in 21” X 48 “ dimensions.
- Electric High Lift Pallet Truck: This 27 X 45 pallet truck incorporates an electric scissor lift that allows you to raise the pallet load onto a low shelf, or simply into working position. Dimensions are Width 27”, Height 48.5”, Depth 60” and a capacity of 2,200 pounds. The truck weighs 373 pounds and incorporates 6” mold-on Polyurethane wheels.
- Pallet Truck Stacker: This truck includes a narrow mast for tighter areas, but can stack a pallet on a much higher shelf than most pallet trucks. The unit is almost like a small walk behind forklift. Dimensions are Width 26.5”, Height 78.5”, Depth 65” with a capacity of 2,200 pounds. The unit weighs 1,036 pounds with a steel construction and 10” polyurethane steering wheels.
Get Help With Your Pallet Jack Needs
Our experts are ready to answer all your questions about pallet trucks or any other material handling equipment. Contact us today and we’ll help you find the jack that best meets your operational and budgetary needs.