If you are choosing an industrial caster for a specific purpose, then you will likely have a lot of questions. What capacity caster do I need: light-duty, medium-duty or heavy-duty? What type of wheel material do I need for my flooring conditions: hard or soft? What is the best bearing type and quality for my specific rolling and maneuverability needs?
At Douglas Equipment, we know that not every caster will meet the needs of every job and every caster manufacturer has their specialty when it comes to functionality. We carry high quality casters from top brands like Albion, Colson, Shepherd, MedCaster, Jarvis, Pemco, Algood, Bestway, Blickle, Caster Concepts, Darcor, Darnell-Rose, Faultless, Rhombus, Hamilton, Aubin, Durable, Fairbanks, Plastiglide , E R Wagner, R & K and TREW Industrial. Here is a brief overview of some manufacturers and industrial casters we have that might suit your requirements:
Blickle casters are manufactured in Germany to European standards. Testing of their casters are completed to the strenuous requirements of DIN EN 12527-12533, the German Institute for Standardization’s standard for casters and wheel test methods. With high reliability, Blickle produces over 60,000 products a day, more than 15 million a year, and also invests in constant development of caster improvements.
- LPA-VSTH-35K High Capacity Low Overall Height Extrathane Caster: This caster is small but mighty. A big mover with large capacity but tiny size, it combines ultra-low overall height with a capacity typical of casters two and a half times its size. Wheel is constructed from brown polyurethane on a steel center wheel with precision ball bearing. Height 52 mm, Load Capacity 220 pounds.
- LDA-VPA Light Duty Twin Wheel Caster with Solid Rubber Tire: Dual wheel casters with a top plate fitting for installation and made of pressed steel with a double ball bearing in the swivel. Zinc plated and Cr6 free with two wheels made of impact resistant nylon and treads of high-quality solid rubber. Douglas stock includes the 50G-FI dual wheel plate with and without a stop fix brake It has a load capacity of 70 kg, wheel diameter of 50 mm and tire width of 2 x 18 mm.
Since 1885, Colson has provided state-of-the-art industrial casters with a commitment to caster technology that has made them a leader in the industry. With over 200,000 different caster models they are one of our key manufacturers.
- Colson 6 Series Enforcer: These casters have an attractive and durable zinc finish, as well as the kingpinless swivel design that eliminates swivel section failure due to shock and stretching of the kingpin. Wheel material options include Mold-On Rubber, Mold-On Nylon, Phenolic Polyolefin, Performa Rubber, Polyurethane HI-TECH, Cast Iron, and Thermo High Temperature. Wheel diameters can be 4”, 5”, 6” and 8”. Caster capacities range from 300 pounds to 1500 pounds.
- Colson Kinpinless Enforcer Swivel and Matching Rigid: For larger casters with larger diameter wheel options, this model is available with a zinc-plated finish as well as the kingpinless swivel design to eliminate swivel section failure. Wheel material options include Cast Iron, Forged Steel, Phenolic, and Mold-on Rubber, and come in wheel diameters of 6”, 8”, 10” and 12”. Caster capacities range from 680 pounds to 4500 pounds.
A caster manufacturer out of Wisconsin, ER Wagner has been in the business of developing, designing and manufacturing quality casters and wheels for over 100 years. Wagner casters and wheels are tested to meet the high quality standards of the Institute of Caster Manufacturers and the National Sanitation Foundation (NSF).
- 1F58 Low Profile Medium Duty Plate Casters: With a double row swivel construction and zinc plated finish, these casters are ideal for electronic and business machines that require a low height but high capacity caster. Wheel types include Cushionex Supreme, Poly II Urethane, Spartan Supreme, Durafoam and Duratex Phenolic.
- 4FN Pneumatic Wheel Casters: These fully pneumatic wheels provide extra long life, superior floor protection, quiet operation and a cushioned ride for delicate loads with a double row swivel construction and large raceways. Wheels are a soft gray tread on a silver hub and can be supplied with or without a brake.
Shepherd Caster is a leading designer of wheels and casters for a variety of OEM markets and applications. They have specialized in design excellence, quality manufacturing, global sourcing and environmental responsibility for over 55 years.
- Shepherd Bassick Honcho OS/OR Series: Perfect for power-towed applications, terminal trucks, or other heavy applications, this heavy duty caster is built to take a lot of abuse and carry a lot of weight while remaining strong and dependable. Wheel material options include Urethane on Aluminum or Steel, and come in wheel diameters of 5”, 6” and 8”. Caster capacities range from 1500 pounds to 1750 pound for the larger loads you need to move.
- Shepherd Bassick Honcho HS/HR Series: This is a heavy-duty caster built to carry a large amount of weight while retaining strength and durability. These casters are perfect for power-towed applications, terminal trucks, or other heavy, abusive applications. Wheels are 2-1/2” wide and come in material options including Urethane on Aluminum, come in wheel diameters of 6”, 8” and 10”, and have a capacity of 1750 pounds for moving larger loads.
Choosing the Right Industrial Caster for Your Needs
With all of these different manufacturers to choose from, each with many different models in their catalogue, how can you easily choose the caster that is right for your unique needs? This is where Douglas Equipment can help. We’ve been in the business of quality casters and material handling equipment since 1955 and our trained and experienced team of experts know the ins and outs of choosing a quality industrial caster and can walk you through the selection process if you’re not sure where to begin. Contact us today to get started!